Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Testimony of Smt. Sinam (O) Mamta Devi



I, Smt. Sinam (O) Mamta Devi aged about 29 years, W/O  (L) Sinam Injit  Singh, R/O Marjing, Sekmai, P.O. & P.S. Sekmai, Imphal West District, would like to share the incident of my husband’s death in the hands of unidentified persons. He was involved in contract works with his friends. He was good natured and lovable person. My husband was an innocent person and had no relations with any underground outfits.
On 27th January 2005, he went to have dinner with his local friends towards Awang (North) Leikai in the evening around 5-5.30 p.m. He had returned towards our home after having the food, however, halfway from home some people had called him away from the main road towards the river bank. Later, we heard gun shots around 7-7.30 p.m. and we became alarmed about his whereabouts. My relatives and friends of our locality started searching for him in our area. My relatives went towards the river side and had found his bullet riddled body lying at the river bank. And, in the meantime, I also joined the search along with one of my aunt. One person informed my aunt about the body of my husband lying lifeless at the river bank, the individual who passed the information did not see me in the darkness and had casually informed her. On hearing the news of his death, I fainted at the spot.
 Our youngest daughter was just three months old when he died. Nobody in our village was able to inform about the people who killed my husband. No one witnessed the incident and till today no one has claimed the responsibility for his death. The death of my husband came in the local newspapers. There was no claim from any insurgent group or from the security forces. The police took the body to the hospital and post -mortem was performed. An FIR was lodged accordingly, however no one was able to do anything as the killers had disappeared mysteriously. Till today, the death of my husband still remains unsolved.
My sorrowful and dreadful life started after the death of my husband. I was in a dilemma on how I have to live without my husband. I was traumatized and distressed with my future life. Somehow I developed the strength for the sake of my children. One senior lady from our locality came to my support. She loaned some amount with on small percentage in interest and insisted me to start a grocery shop at the gate of my house. Till today, the shop is running successfully and I am partly able to sustain my children from the profit from the shop.
In the meantime, I faced a lot of discrimination from the society. Men often asked undesirable questions and women too questioned and made assumptions regarding my movements. I tussled with these people on numerous occasions and with repeated fights, but slowly, the scenario changed and people stopped their misconduct. Nowadays, I have started going out to attend important occasions and occupied myself in running my grocery shop.
We did not receive any ex-gratia for the death of my husband. The FIR which was lodged is still pending with no further pursuance of the case by the concerned, as no one cooperates to give information about my husband’s death. At present, I do not own a separate BPL card as my house number is same with my in-laws. I am just living for the sake of my two young children. I feel I should be strong and confident in the society for them and their future. My children need my support and my confidence has developed tremendously because of them. As long as I am alive I will do my best for their welfare.


No comments: