Friday, May 11, 2012

Testimony of Chanam Ongbi Inaocha


I, Chanam Ongbi Inaocha w/o Ch. Sonamai, aged about 44 years, a resident of Sairemkhul Polangsoi, P.O. Patsoi, P.S. Lamshang, Imphal West District, Manipur, would like to share about my sick husband (Chanam Sonamani Singh) who was allegedly taken from our residence without giving any concrete reason by the Army personnel (Assam Rifles) assaulting me and my family members while we tried to stop them.
On the night of May 7, 2012 at around 2.30 am when I was just back into my room from the bathroom for a night micturation, I heard somebody bang at the main door. Since it was very late at night, I shouted back asking who they were at this wee hour. The reply was given in local dialect saying that it is the Army and they will not do anything harm the family. They said that they just wanted to ask something to my husband if he is at home.
Since I have no misgivings and have done nothing to be guilty, I decided to open the door. As soon as I opened it, some army personnel barged in and dragged my husband toward the courtyard, and I pleaded with the personnel to stop dragging my husband, I hold him tight, as he is sick. Doctors even advised him to take rest as he had recently conducted a surgical operation to remove his gall bladder. Without considering my request, the Army personnel just told me that they needed him to locate a house. Confronting their bleak proposal, I asked them to allow me to accompany them instead of my husband considering his health problem.
Even as I pleaded, they tried to snatch him away from me, even assaulted me to clear their way. Three personnel blocked me and took my husband to their vehicle. I rushed to their vehicle and hold him tight and keep on pleading to release him at the spot. That time only, I realised that I was protesting for the life of my husband without wearing Phanek (rap around) as it had fallen down when I was struggling with the Army personnel. I was ashamed of the thought that I suffered from the very personnel whom our Government have assigned to save and protect the life of its country men, but the pain of pulling my hair by one of the personnel and kicking me down from their vehicle as they drove away is unthinkable. In the meantime, my younger sister-in-law (wife of my husband’s younger brother) who also had been struggling all the while, was also pulled and pushed. All in a while, we also signaled the local womenfolk to help us. The womenfolk came out and rushed to us for help but all went in vain as the vehicle started driving  away. Even as the vehicle started moving, I did not lose any hopes, I along with our womenfolk ran after the vehicle to attempt our last chance. We all cried out against the moving vehicle denouncing their merciless act of arresting someone innocent without giving proper reason and arrest memo.   
I received several injuries on the knees, arms, and chest. My elder sister-in-law (wife of my husband’s elder brother) received injury on her feet; my younger sister-in-law, who is still week after giving birth to her baby two months back, was also hurt in trying to rescue my husband from the army personnel. I could not sleep the whole night.  
Early in the morning, we all went to our concerned Lamshang Police Station and found out that my husband was luckily been brought there. One of the policemen told us that he was handed over by a team of Assam Rifles of Yaingangpokpi, today morning, alleged with of running a UG camp and knowing the where about of bombs. The sight of my husband was utterly painful they had beaten him up badly as bruises were seen all over his body, he was moaning with pain and could barely walk. 
I have been traumatized by the incident and am ready to face anything even if I have to kill a person, in case any thing happens to my husband. I think that being quite & apprehensive would not stop such kind of human rights violations. My life and my two small children all depends on him physically, psychologically and financially. He is the sole bread earner of the family. He used to work hard to make a living, always sincere in his work.
Some times I ask to myself why we are in such an awkward situation, is it because my husband is a poor man and that he has made his living from making insane sticks, working in fields or is it because he brought up the issue of finding the culprits from our locality who were involved in the recent trafficking/abducting of three children for recruiting them as child soldiers in one of the insurgent group, was this incident a threat to someone and why did the Army who are suppose to be the protectors of civilians have to act like that, do they have the liberty to kick, pull, push or keep captive even when she is naked while trying to stop them take away her innocent husband without even issuing a arrest Memo. But, as of now, I only worry about my husband’s physical and mental status and want him back home alive. 


No comments: