Saturday, May 5, 2012

Testimony of Smt. Thockchom (O) Tampakleima Devi

I, Smt. Thockchom (O) Tampakleima Devi aged about 40 years, W/O (Late) Thockchom Ranjit Singh of Itham Nungoi Leikai, P.O. Lamlong, P.S. Lamlai, Imphal East District. I would like to testify the happenings of the day my husband was taken away by the Police commandos and later found dead.
My husband was a driver by profession when he was alive, unfortunately, he met with an accident about seven years ago and this accident not only crippled but partially paralyzed the left portion of his body. He used to stand and walk with help of walking stick. He also had undergone two major operations and an iron clad was lodged inside the left thigh for supporting the bone. We were living a tough life, however happy, for being a complete family. We have two children; eldest is a boy of 11 years old studying in standard VI and an eight years old girl, studying in standard II, both at Leishemba Maheikol, a private run school located in our locality.
On the fateful day, a team of Imphal East police commandos led by Sub Inspector Brojen Singh came to our house on 7th May 2010 at around 1.30-2 am. They loudly called us and also knock heavily on our door to open it. It was really too dark as there was no power supply in my locality that day. Using a lamp, I went to open the door but the police team, by thinking that I was not going to open it, slammed the door and hastily broke in to my room. The Sub Inspector monished me and asked not to disturbed them and also used all sort of foul dirty languages for delaying in opening the door. After that, they rushed to the room where my husband was sleeping and told him to get up and accompany them. He woke up and helplessly stared at me with an indication to help him in putting clothes. I rushed towards his bed and helped him to get dressed besides sub inspector’s discourteous comments that the clothes cannot save my husband’s life. In the meantime, I politely enquired them on the reason for apprehending him and also asked them to issue an arrest memo. Even as the police team failed to show the arrest memo, they forcibly took my husband to their vehicle and vanished hurriedly from the scene.  Some other police personnel had told us that they would be back soon and we don’t have to be anxious. Since it was the second incident, I was thinking that my husband would be released soon like the previous arrest that happened two-three months back. We contacted the sub inspector though a mobile number which was taken during the previous arrest and he told us to come at Imphal East police station located at Porompat at around 8 am.
We then seek support from our locality and hired few vehicles to reach the spot. Upon arrival to the said police station, one of my brothers went inside the police station to check his (my husband’s) presence. He returned sadly and told that us that we need to go to Minister Biren’s residence to discuss few other things. I asked him about my husband’s presence inside the police station. Instead of clarifying my doubts, he just told that everything was okay and he remained quite. I sensed something was terribly wrong and asked several times on our way to minister’s house about his whereabouts and condition. In a very confusion manner, he again replied that my husband was in the hospital for some sort of treatment. After that I started thinking that something bad has befallen upon my husband. I started crying, and felt senseless, and I fainted. When I regained my consciousness, we were on our way to home. I seriously suspected the conducts of other family members, and I cried and screamed inside the vehicle. Later I realized that the police had killed my husband without any reason. We retrieved the dead body of my husband from the mortuary of Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences. The police allegedly reported that my husband was an insurgent and he was killed in an encounter. But the truth is that he was wrongly identified by the police and shot him in a fake encounter before reaching the police station.
Denouncing the merciless act of the State force, a Joint Action Committee was constituted and demanded justice on the extra judicial killing of my husband. The JAC also organized various form of agitations to punish the personnel who were involved in the heinous crime.
In the mean time, the State Government offered a sum of Rs 1 Lakh as ex gratia for the mistake committed by the State Police Commandos. Neither the Police nor the hospital provided any documents relating to his death. The Minister of our Assembly Constitution also promised to give employment to the nearest kin. But, till today, no action has been taken-up by the Minister. There was no judicial as well as magisterial inquiry for further investigation on the matter.
I suffered grievously after the death of my husband. His death created such a strong impact on me and my children’s life, both mentally and economically. I started earning through weaving loom and seasonal works mainly in the paddy fields. But the earnings could not able to fill up the needs and demands of my children besides deteriorating my health. I suffered critically from insomnia, lightheadedness, headache, congestion, loss of appetite and severe pain in the chest. I haven’t consulted with doctors for said health problems as I don’t have enough money for paying doctor consultation fee and to buy medicine as well. Whenever I remembered my husband, I was haunted and also become confused and agitated. Most of the night, I cried a lot in seeing my two hapless children sleeping silently without knowing anything.  Sometime, I walked around inside the house and ponder why such misfortune fall upon my family. The only way to forget the pain and sorrow is to mix around with friends, conversing with my family members and going to the field for work.
Now, I am leading a life with unclear destination but I have to live and try my best to support my children. They are the only hope remains for me. Every morning and night I used to pray to God of Almighty for his blessings upon my children for their good health and protection. 

No comments: