Friday, May 25, 2012

Testimony of Smt. Ahanthem (O) Tampha Devi



I, Smt. Ahanthem (O) Tampha Devi aged about 37 years, W/O Sh. Ahanthem Basanta Singh R/O Sawombung Gate, P.O. Lamlong, P.S. Lamlai, Imphal East District, would like to highlight how my son Ahanthem Amujao was killed in an fake encounter by the Imphal East Police Commandos.
My son Amujao was only 16 years old when he was killed, he was a daily wage earner working as a labourer in one of construction work. He used to be away from home for many days in relation to his work, On 27th January 2012, he went out from home at around 4.30 p.m. and failed to return home, we did not enquire much as he use to stay outside very regularly in relation to his work. On 29th morning, one of his co-workers came to our house looking for him and reported his absence from work. We became worried and started searching for him, no one was aware about his where about, I even went to my maternal home looking for him. On the same day, around 4.30 p.m. we received a phone call from the police commandos informing us about the death of my son and to collect his body from the hospital morgue. They were able to traced my sons address from my heath card and identity card which was found from his body, I was shocked on receiving the news and I fainted. On 30th morning after undergoing all the formalities we collected the body from the morgue. We learnt that my son was arrested from Khuman Lampak (his place of work) and later killed by the commandos. The Police accused my son of belonging to one of the insurgent group call UNLF and alleged that he was killed in the shootout with the commandos at Khuman Lampak Palli. They said he was involved in throwing bomb at the houses of candidates who were contesting in the 2012 general election. My son bore numerous tortured injuries on his body, his right hand was broken, the middle finger bone was protruding out, his right palm was sliced in the middle, five bullet holes on the chest and stomach which looked as if he was shot from a very close range, several injury marks were seen on his buttocks, it appears he was tortured and beaten very brutally before killing him. My son’s girlfriend told us that, on 28th Jan, he had called her at around 9 p.m. and informed her that he was being pursued by the police were accusing him of involving in the bomb blast which happened near their house. She said it appears that he was running and making that phone call which lasted only for few seconds and got disconnected, later it was found to be switched off. The commandos later said that they shoot my son as he was wearing black shirt and they mistook him for the insurgent they were pursuing, owing to their mistake.
On account of his death, JAC was formed condemning the brutal killing of my son by the Manipur Police commandos, bandhs were organised and dharnas were staged, however there is no action from the side of the government. As we are financially backward, we could not persuade any further our grievances. we were also afraid that the police commandos may arrest my husband and kill him similarly in a fake encounter, I do not want any further harm cause to my family and relatives, the innocent life they had taken has brought enough sorrow into our lives. After a few days, the UNLF clarified in the newspaper that my son did not belong to their group. My son was an innocent daily wage earner, earning money for supporting his younger siblings. His death is a huge loss in our family, he was the most obedient and hardworking member in the family.
I suffered grievously after the death of my son, I was afraid what would happen to the rest of the family members if we agitate or if we go for further agitation. At night I and my husband could not sleep, we get utterly alarmed on hearing the sound of vehicle near our house. The children miss him and often asked why the commandos killed their brother. My second son has dropped from school and started earning money by doing odd jobs in order to support the family. My husband suffered from liver cirrhosis and cannot work hard to fully support the family. I also go to work as a labourer whenever there is a opportunity available in the locality to maintain the family. I have 6 children, eldest who was killed in the fake encounter, second is a school dropout, remaining three boys are in Government school and the youngest daughter is in primary school. Whenever I remember my son, I become frustrated and agitated. I relieved my pain and sorrow by getting involved in heavy work and keeping busy with my children.
I own a BPL and a Job card, it is useful once in a while and does not serve much purpose, as the PDS is a failure in our locality, we hardly get rice, kerosene, sugar etc. My three children are studying in Sawombung Government school, the facilities provided under RTE are minimum, there is no proper provision of mid day meal, the school authorities provided the meal after every two days (sometimes it is not served for days), school uniform is incomplete (only shirt and pant), books are incomplete and for this year second hand books (used books) was provided to all the students. There is no provision for stationary material and the toilet for boys and girls are not hygienic. If only our family could afford to educate my children in private school , I would be very happy.
As for my son Amujao who has left us for heavenly abode, my family wishes to seek justice, however we do not know where to voice for help and support. 

Testimony taken by Joyce Thangjam 
Imphal East District coordinator 
European Union Project entitle “Promoting organised initiative of victims and civil society institutions for ending violence against children”

No comments: