Monday, October 31, 2011

Husband killed by unidentified persons


     Testimony of Smt. Chingsubam(O) Memoria Devi
I, Smt. Chingsubam (O) Memoria Devi aged about 27 years, W/O (L) Sh. Chingsubam Onil Singh, R/O Thangmeiband Yumnam Leikai, P.S Lamphel, Imphal West District, 795001, would like to testify the happenings of the day my husband was taken away by unidentified gunmen from our residence on 1st April 2007.
My son Yaiphaba, was 14 months old when my husband was killed by the unidentified youths. Now, he is six years old reading in Class UKG at Kids Corner School, Chingmeirong. I earn my living by weaving traditional silk wrap around along with my mother-in-law in our house.
My husband was an innocent person when he was alive. He was dealing in contract work and also worked as overseer along with the contractor. We belong to a peaceful and happy family with no major problem. He loves me and our son very much and we lead a beautiful life. The reason leading to his death is related to the fight which occurred on the day our locality celebrated thabal chongba. My husband was defending one of our locality girls while she was talking to some boys from other locality(Outsiders), in the darkness. He objected their behavior and advised them to talk in the illuminated area, which infuriated the boys and a fight ensued. Our locality boys joined the fight and the outsiders were beaten up and they received injuries. My husband also received injuries.They went away enraged promising revenge to my husband.
On 1st April 2007, two- three days after the thabal chongba, two unidentified gunmen came to our house around 9:00 p.m. and called out my husband while he was watching television along with our family members. I was in the kitchen doing household chores. One of our relatives informed that my husband has been taken away and I got anxious and started trembling.  We followed them and from far we saw them walking away. Our family members immediately followed them, however, they had left by vehicle. We looked for them everywhere and could not locate them. I was helpless and not knowing what to do I start crying. Nothing came on my mind and I became totally confused.  I was very anxious over the situation.
Late in the night around 11 p.m. one local man of Thangmeiband came and informed me that my husband, Onil has been shot and lying at the Goverdhan ground at Thangmeiband. He informed us that he had multiple bullet injuries and was bleeding profusely. I fainted on hearing the news. When my relatives reached the spot, he had already been taken to RIMS Hospital. We learnt that one person had wrapped him with khudei on his chest and stomach and taken to the Hospital on foot as nobody agreed to lend their vehicle. He was alive when they reached the Hospital, however he died due to excessive bleeding. According to the post mortem report he was beaten brutally before receiving bullet injuries on the chest, stomach and right portion of the hip. He died in the midst of the night at 12 a.m. The report showed my husband died owing to excessive bleeding.
We did not collect the dead body from the morgue for three days, however, our family decided it was not worth to agitate as the person who killed my husband were neither identified nor arrested. My family collected his body on the fourth day and the last rites were performed. The police were not able to trace the accused persons and no magisterial enquiry was also conducted. We do not have strong connection to pursue our case. I doubt the unidentified persons who were involved in killing my husband were those youths who had triggered fight on the day our locality celebrated Thabal Chongba. We learnt that the night my husband was taken away from our house, in the afternoon, two youths on Kinetic Honda were lingering near the community hall for a long time. Nobody realized or doubted they were keeping an eye on my husband’s movement.
My life took a drastic turn after the death of my husband. I felt like committing suicide and my health deteriorated extremely. I could not eat properly for a long time and think clearly. I lose all the hope of living a normal life. My family members were worried about my health and for my son who is just 14 months old.  Everyone begged me to think for my young son who is in dire needs of my care and love. I realized that I have to be strong and live for the sake of my son and make him happy. My son needs my love and affection and I have to take the role of both being a father and mother. I have to live a better life instead of shadowing myself with grief and sorrow. I joined e-pham which is an organization of widows killed in the armed conflict. I met several other widows whose husbands were killed by the army, Police Commando and unidentified gunmen in the organization. Whenever we gather for meeting we share our stories, interest and other activities that will benefit for our children and for ourselves. I have developed stronger self confidence and the spirit to live a better meaningful life after meeting the other widows. I do not have good health, the stone inside my kidney bothers me often with acute pain and reduces my stamina to complete the daily activities. I have to live with it till I arrange the required money for removal of the stone. All my family members are good to me and my son, I am glad I am living with a good family who understands my situation.  

No comments: