Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Sangakpham bomb blast victim recounts her story


I, Smt. Thokchom (O) Cleopatra Devi 32 years, W/O Sh. Thokchom Dinesh Singh, R/O Achanbigei Leikai, P.S. Heingang, Imphal East District, 795010, would like to testify the events of the day I was involved in the Sangakpham bomb blast on 2nd August 2011.
I went to Sangakpham in the afternoon around 12.45 p.m. to meet the pundit who reads kuthi (horoscope). After collecting and talking with the pundit for a while, I came out to go back home. I stopped near the road side grocery shop, to buy eatables for my son Donald. I was choosing the wafer packets when all of a sudden I heard a loud blast accompanied with strong plastic smelling smokes all over the place. I was deafened and my head was covered with dust and black soot from the bomb blast. I could hear people shouting and screaming everywhere in the surrounding. I did not turn back and I told the shopkeeper something is wrong with me as I could feel a hot and wet sensation on the left side of my stomach and left leg. I touched my stomach and realized that it was drenched with blood, I had been seriously wounded from the splinters of the bomb blast. My left leg was also profusely bleeding.  I did not turn towards the blast area out of fear and went inside the shop and the shopkeeper took me outside the road from another door. I borrowed a piece of cloth from some ladies and wrapped myself with the cloth and limped towards the main road to catch an auto rickshaw. I went to my maternal home as it is near from Sangakpham, my parents took me to JNIMS Hospital at Porompat for taking treatment.
On the way to the hospital I never knew I would come out from this situation. I got injuries on the left portion of the chest and left leg. The doctors removed several splinters from the leg and chest. The quick medical aid from the doctors saved my life. My parents called my family members and they all rushed to the Hospital. I did not contact my husband as he was out of station and he would be alarmed, if learnt that I am involved in the blast. I remembered my son Donald who is just 3 years old and I decided I should not stay back in the Hospital as he would be missing me. The doctors were reluctant to discharge me as the iron shrapnel from the blast were poisonous and would cause severe infection. I insisted them to discharge me for today as my son was alone at home and I would come for regular check up. Several policemen and journalist came to enquire about the bomb blast. They made me feel nervous and confused in the midst of extreme pain, heat and noise.
I had high fever, low blood pressure, nauseating and loss of appetite after the incident. I was in the bed for two weeks, taking strong pain killer and antibiotics. Now, I am recuperating from the injuries.  I still feel nauseating and on pressing the injured area I get pain. Fortunately, I do not have difficulty in walking or other problem. I thank God that my life was spared from the blast and made me able to live normally with my family. It was good that my son was not with me on that inauspicious day. I cannot go out regularly and feel scared that another bomb may explode. When I go towards Sangakpham, I turn my head away from the blast area and close my eyes as it brings back bad memories. I do not want to take my son along while going out, fearing that some similar misfortune may happen. The compensation promised by the Manipur Government has not been accomplished.  The necessary document has been submitted to the JAC and it appears that everything is under process.

No comments: