Monday, October 31, 2011

Testimony of Langpoklakpam Rani


Testimony of Smt.  Langpoklakpam (O) Rani Devi
I, Smt. Langpoklakpam (O) Rani Devi aged about 27 years, W/O (L) Sh. Langpoklakpam Bimolchandra Singh, R/O Haobam Marak, P.O & P.S Imphal West District, 795001, would like to testify the happenings of the day I lost my husband in the hands of the Police Commandos.
My husband was arrested and killed by the Police commandos on 4th July 2008.  We were supposed to go out in the afternoon with our son for watching the kang chingba at the Palace gate. He went out in the morning around 7 a.m., for buying few things and he never returned back. I called his cell phone number around 8.30 a.m. however, there was no answer. Our family members enquired about his whereabouts later in the afternoon. According to the eye witness, he was arrested around 9 a.m. near Mangi’s shop in our locality by the Police Commandos and he was taken away in their vehicle towards Changangei. His NV-scooter was driven away by one of the Policemen. Later, we received information that one person who was attempting to throw a bomb to the security personnel’s was killed in the encounter at U-Checkon with the Police Commandos and MLI.  The police sated that arms and ammunition was found with him at the time he was shot in the encounter.
My brother-in-law who went to search for my husband, returned home sad and dejected and I saw him wiping away his tears. I became alarmed and repeatedly asked him what has happened to my husband. He told me he met with an accident and he was in the hospital. I became hysterical and started shouting and crying and begged him to tell the truth. I sensed that my husband must have been grievously hurt and I never knew he would be dead. My bro-in-law did not inform about my husband’s death immediately. I was in the advanced stage of pregnancy and they were afraid something terrible might happen to me on receiving the news. My bro-in-law confirmed the death of my husband from the RIMS Hospital morgue. I fainted on hearing the news, I could not believe that he has been killed by the combined forces of Police Commandos and Maratha Light Infantry. My husband was an innocent person working in our Rice mill and indulged in contract works with his friends. He was not involved in the activities of the insurgents as stated by the Police Commandos. They made a false report that he was attempting to throw bomb to the Police and during this melee, he was killed in the encounter. On account of his death, neither Joint Action Committee was formed nor was dharna staged in order to show the inhuman activities of the police commando. I did not receive any compensation for the brutal inhuman killing.  We do not have any connection with the influential people, therefore we do not pursue the case further.
My life took a drastic turn after the death of my husband. I fainted very often and I faced serious mental depression. I gave birth to a healthy baby boy after the death of my husband.  I was not able to recover from mental depression for a long time. I do not want to mingle with people and felt like committing suicide. My father-in-law met with an accident in December 2008 and he died not able to recuperate from the injuries received in the accident. My mother-in-law also passed away after six months from the death of my husband. Everybody in the family left me and my two children one by one and we were left all alone. I was left alone with the challenge of sustaining my two children and confront life in the absence of husband and in-laws. I could not sleep at night and my mind was full of tension how to tackle with the layers of difficulties of facing life all alone.
People from the social development sector visited me and invited me to join their organization. The members of e-pham are the womenfolk whom their husbands are the victims of State forces. I shared my pain and sorrow with them and it brings relief to my grief-stricken heart. Whenever I go out to attend their meeting, people from our locality frequently enquires where & with whom I am going & for what purpose. I get discrimination from our family members for venturing out from home. After joining the E-pham, I developed self confidence and decided I shall not depend upon others for raising my children and to satisfy my children’s hunger. I started working as helper at Kids Centre near our house. I enjoy working amongst the small toddlers and this is how I while away my time and earn money for sustaining me and my children. I also earn some money from our rice mill.
My son Virun aged 9 years is reading in kindergarten at St. Joseph school which is a private school and I have to pay the fees. I do not avail any Government facilities for elementary education and the ration card is in the name of my father-in-law and therefore I am not able to take the facilities. I am not a BPL card holder as the house number of our address is common with my in-laws. My youngest son Thoiba, aged 3 years is with me in the Kid Centre where I am working. My life has to be perfect even in the absence of my husband. I will play the role of a loving and caring mother and a supportive and strong role of a father as well.   I need to play a dual role to fill in the gap in my son’s life for not having a father. I have to be strong and courageous thinking for my beloved son’s.





No comments: