Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sangakpham Blast, ordeal of a mother of losing her daughter


I, Smt. Ramshimla Awungshi aged about 40 years, W/O Sh. Kachipkhui Awungshi, temporarily residing at Paomai Colony, Sangakpham Leikai, P.O. Chingmeirong, P.S. Chingmeirong, Imphal East District, 795010, would like to testify the happenings of the day my daughter Philaso Awungshi was killed in the Sangakpham bomb blast on 2nd August 2011.
I have eight children and my daughter Philaso Awungshi aged about 10 years was the second youngest amongst the eight siblings. She was studying in Class three at Chingmeirong Primary School, Chingmeirong. Philaso was a good natured girl, bright in her studies and she hardly talks. She was one of the best children in our family, she was not lazy in completing her home work and was helpful to me most of the time. She would be energetic most of the time and willing to prepare food even before she goes to school. Philaso and her elder brother Somatai were reading in the same school. Philaso was in standard III and her brother in standard IV. They went to school together and return home together. My daughter Philaso and the other victim Neha were very good and close friends. They would go to school together, play together and eat their food either in our house or at their house together.
On the fateful day, my daughter and Neha were killed when they were buying eatables from the shop where the blast took place. The day she was killed, I did not meet her in the morning. I went to the field early in the morning before she got up from bed. The blast took place while I was in the field and I came to know about the incident after returning from the field around 3-4 p.m. I have a weak heart and owing to this fragile health, nobody at home informed me that my daughter has been a victim of the blast. They told me she was in the hospital with minor injuries and our relatives were with her and they would be back soon after attaining first aid. Later, in the evening at around 7 p.m, a stranger belonging to my community came before our gate and told me in our dialect, “Sister where will you bury your daughter, here in Imphal or in your village”. After giving this information he went away, I did not get time to speak to him. I was stunned and dismayed, and I shouted, my beloved Philaso is dead? I was confused and wondered why my family members did not inform me. My husband was in our village, my daughter Philaso was one of the children killed in the blast, what I would do now. After this, numbness came upon me and I lost my consciousness. I cried bitterly and told my relatives I have to go and see my child. However, they did not allow me and I had a tormented night. I learnt from my relatives that they searched for my daughter everywhere in the blast area after they got the news that two school girls had been involved in the blast. They could not locate her mangled body at the blast site at first. Later, they found her body inside the corner of the grocery shop where my daughter and Neha had bought eatables. That was how my loving daughter lost her young precious life, killed by the activity of the terrorists. Next day, with the help of my relatives, my daughter’s body was brought home from the morgue, we took her body to our village at Marou, Phungyar Sub-division, Ukhrul district, to perform the last rites. This was her last journey from Imphal to our village. I never knew I would be facing this kind of difficult and devastating situation in my life.
On that ill fated day, I regret so much for not having seen her before I went to the field. I cried every now and then longing for my daughter’s presence. I feel empty most of the time and I would find myself staring and gazing into nowhere and I could sit for hours thinking about my daughter. I have lost my appetite completely and I get headaches most of the time. I do not feel like going out, I have this fear that there may be a bomb blast again anywhere. I have difficulty in communicating with people and remain muddled most of the time, not knowing what to do. My son Somatai is also afraid of going to school thinking that bomb may blast again and he does not want to cross the area as it brings back sad memories of losing a beautiful and loving sister. We live just a few meters away from the blast area and it is compulsory for us to pass through the area. Still, it is a difficult moment for me to cross and see the area where my daughter lost her life.
I am an illiterate person and ignorant about where to approach for assistance. The Government of Manipur had promised Rs two Lakh rupees (firstly, it was one lakh, later increased, on 2nd September 2011,  two lakhs owing to the gravity of the blast) as compensation on the death of my daughter in the blast, however till now,  we have not received any news in this regard.  This amount can never replace or bring back my daughter. No one can understand the experience of pain and sadness of losing a beautiful child at such a tender age in such an ugly incident. Every day, I would expect my daughter to come back from school in the afternoon. Then, all of a sudden I would realize that Philaso is no more and would never return home. Her friends would return from school chattering and laughing happily. There is no other option but to cry bitterly remembering her face.
We do not possess BPL card of Imphal district as we are residing temporarily at Sangakpham. My husband is in the village most of the time and I live in Imphal looking after my school going children. We had financial problem as our family is large and now it is coupled with emptiness and sadness from having lost a beautiful daughter. Why the terrorist are so cruel and callous in carrying out such a repulsive action killing many people. God will definitely punish the guilty for their cruel activities.

No comments: