Monday, October 31, 2011

Two sons of a mother,killed by state and non state actors


Testimony of Smt. Pebam (O) Kumudini Devi
I, Smt. Pebam (O) Kumudini Devi aged about 64 years, W/O (L) Pebam Pakchao Singh, R/O Kwakeithel Lamdong, Imphal West District, 795001, would like to testify the unforgettable moments of losing my eldest son in the hands of Police Commando’s and my younger son in the hands of unidentified person.
My eldest son Pebam Ojit had three children from his first marriage, his first wife left him due to personal reasons. He got married again and he was doing brief business of selling liquor with his second wife and unfortunately they do not have any children. I do not know exactly what more business they were involved as they hardly reveal all their activities. On 20th February 2008, my son and his wife went to the Khwairamband Bazaar for some work. While my daughter-in-law, Chaoba, was shopping, my son had food from one of the hotels at Mapal Kangjeibung, as he felt hungry. When she returned from shopping, my son was not present at the destined place where they had agreed to meet. She waited for a long time and later learnt that he has been arrested by the Police Commandos while having food at the hotel.
According to the Police, my son was killed during an encounter with the Imphal West District Commandos, at a spot in between Keishamthong Elangbam Leikai Leirak Achouba Maning and Longjam Leirak under Imphal Police Station at around 7.50 pm on 20th February 2008. They do not mention he was arrested from Mapal Kangjeibung while he was having food. According to police report, a team of Imphal West Police Commandos was coming from the side of Irom Pukhri Mapal when two youths coming on a Kinetic Honda suspiciously tried to speed away on seeing the security personnel.
When the commandos asked them to stop, youth on pillion riding opened fire at the Commandos. The Commandos also retaliated the firing killing him at the spot while his companion managed to escape leaving behind the vehicle toward Longjam Leirak side. The slain youth was my son Pebam Ojit. The police alleged the recovery of one 9 mm pistol made in Italy and four live rounds of ammunition from my son and the Commandos have also taken into custody of the Kinetic Honda (Silver colourMB1E/8246).
My son was innocent person and I know he was not involved in the activities of underground. He has been accused of belonging to underground group and extorting money from the public. He also has been accused of possessing arms and ammunitions when he was killed in the fake encounter. We did not collect my son’s body for three days and protested for few days at Tiddim Road.  Our weak voice claiming innocence of my son fell upon deaf ears and as time passes the sensitivity of the case reduces. Now, everyone has forgotten about it and owing to immense financial problem we did not pursue the case further. There was no magisterial inquiry and we do not have strong connection with any important and powerful people, therefore, the case is now forgotten.
My daughter-in-law has left for maternal home for good after few months of his death. My eldest grandson is now 20 years old, he is a daily wage earner and lives with me. The two granddaughters are married and settled.
My youngest son Pebam Premkumar@Rohit was killed by unidentified gunmen at Tiddim road on 27th February 2007. He had just completed the training with the IRB as constable and was happy and satisfied with his performance during the training period. Whenever he goes for his duty, I went to drop him at the street where he takes the vehicle. On this fateful I could not drop him far owing to my back pain, he looked back to me as he walked further and was in good mood. After few minutes one person from our locality informed me something has happened to my son. I learnt that three people were forcing him to board the car, and during this melee another person came down from the car, took out a pistol and shot him from behind at a close range killing him on the spot. The by standers took him to the hospital, however, he was declared brought dead. The next day, the UNLF claimed the responsibility of killing him for surrendering and joining the State security forces. My son Pebam Premkumar was involved with some cadre group and he was away from us for few years. He returned home and surrendered before the state security forces and joined the IRB. This angered the cadre group and killed him. He left behind one daughter and one son and they are living with me. Premkumar’s wife works as helper at a clinic and while she is at work, I took care of the children.
The pain of having lost two sons simultaneously in two years is a great loss. I do not want to remember the way they were killed mercilessly on false accounts. One is innocent and alleged to be an underground, killing him in a fake encounter. The other decided to leave illegal activities of the underground cadres and got killed for surrendering. I have stopped roaming in our locality. I cannot see mothers giving care to their children, I remember the care and love I had tendered to my two sons when they were young. I have stopped eating the food items they liked. Now, I have to think for my grand children and do my level best to make them happy and content when I am alive. They should get proper good education and I and my daughter-in-law are doing the best to provide their basic needs. My eldest grandson (s/o Ojit) is a drop out and he helps financially in the family working as daily wage earner. We are poor as our major bread earners are dead and we do not possess BPL card, therefore we are not availing the facilities provided by the Government. I spent my time preparing food for our small family and taking in charge of dropping and collecting my younger two grandchildren from school. I have to be strong and confident for our family. I have to do my best while I am alive.

No comments: